Published on September 7th, 2014 | by Niko0
Top things to know before buying a BMW E46 M3
I recently came across the BMW E46 M3 Buyer’s Guide on Carsbyme and found it really thorough in terms of what the top things are for one to look out for. This is BMW is by far one of BMW’s best cars ever made. It’s used car price range is any where from $10k-mid $30k for a very well maintained low mileage car.
These cars came with the notable S54 engine which cranks out 333hp is definitely a force to be reckoned with. Especially if you decide to either supercharge or turbo charge this engine, you can easily get it to up 500+ horses, and really make you feel like you’re driving a super car. Finding a used BMW M3 for sale shouldn’t be too hard either since they’re a dime a dozen on auto classified sites. The trick here is to keep an eye out for the most important items.
So here are the top things to know summarized for you about owning one of these cars:
1) Make sure to have the rear subframe checked for any cracks. A major problem for many E46 owners.
2) The VANOS solenoid – there was a recall for this.
3) Have the VANOS checked for other issues. The VANOS is notorious for major problems.
4) Bushings – make sure you have the bushings changed on any high mileage E46 M3.
5) Window seals should be checked/replaced.
6) SMG Pump needs to be checked if you’re looking at one with and SMG transmission.
7) Rod bearings had a recall so make sure those were replaced.
8) High mileage models aren’t necessarily something to stay away from. Just make sure all of the above have been looked at by someone who knows what they’re doing. I never hurts to have the dealer inspect the car either.
Happy E46 M3 hunting!